Herne Mill – 1789
by Friends of Herne Mill
Herne Mill, probably the district’s most notable feature, stands on the hill overlooking the village and surrounding areas. It is not only a striking landmark, even visible miles out to sea, but also is a place of great historical and archaeological interest.
It is the latest and possibly the last windmill to occupy roughly the same site since before 1400 and is preserved and maintained by a dedicated band of volunteers. Now owned by the Kent County Council and administered by the Friends of Herne Mill it was built in 1789, raised 17 feet in 1856 and was active as a working wind-powered mill until 1952.
Electric machinery allowed it to labour on until 1980 when the last miller, Clive Wooton, retired. It was bought by the KCC and repaired and restored and opened to the public in 1986. It opens on Sunday afternoons and Bank Holidays from Easter until the end of September, plus mid-week openings from Mid-July until the end of August.
The programme of opening times is publicised annually at the start of the season. Trained guides are always on hand and visitors come from all over the world. Much of the ancient machinery is in working order and the highly skilled engineering staff carries out a constant battle to keep it in shape.
To support this worthwhile project, associate yourself with Herne’s historical past and help preserve this marvellous building join the Friends, you will be warmly welcomed.
For more information link to their website http://www.herne-mill.btik.com
Newsletter Gleanings December 2009