Mail can provide fraudsters with a lot of the information they need to commit a crime of fraud or identity theft. It’s also reasonably easy to intercept someone’s mail, especially if they have an external mailbox.
• The criminals search an area for external letterboxes and steal documents such as bank statements.
• They check the electoral roll or search online for further information to apply for multiple credit cards in the resident’s name.
• When the cards arrive, the criminal collects them from the external mailbox.
What to do
• Make sure your letterbox is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone else or install an anti-theft letterbox
• Empty your mailbox regularly.
• If you have been a victim of this type of crime call Kent Police on 101
To further protect yourself from this type of crime, consider doing a regular credit check to see if any applications you don’t recognise appear. You can do this for free with some services.
Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.